Week One

 WEEK ONE

Friday April 28th 2023

Days prior to the closing, Karilyn and I finished the cleaning of the house, and set up camp at Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds. We figured that the restless nights were likely to increase in frequency and intensity as we got closer to the closing of the sale of the house which meant we would do well to find healthy ways to decrease the stress. A lakefront campsite would do just that and allow us the chance to pregame the cross country trip in the RV. The campground at GMF was beautiful and the last sunrise prior to closing was a reminder that after the storms pass, the sun always comes out. 

After the finalization of the closing, Karilyn and I packed up the Ram 1500, the RV, and the animals to head on out towards Nashville. It wasn't even 5 minutes into driving that a phone call from my worried mother would change a few things. Mom was worried that the 1500 could not handle the stress on the engine and the brakes with the fully loaded trailer and I shared with her that I too had considered this possible issue. Mom suggested a truck trade (her 2500 for my 1500) and that was an offer I couldn't pass up. So after a two hour delay while we transferred all the items in each, Karilyn and I were back on the road towards Nashville feeling a lot more confident about the wheels we rode on. 

The drive to Nashville was pretty much uneventful except for one head scratching moment. With traffic getting ready to get heavier, Google decided to reroute us through downtown Chattanooga. I don't know why I blindly followed this "superior" intelligence but I quickly found myself regretting having done so. Within minutes of departing the safety of the four lane wide highway, I was soon dodging soccer moms in minivans and the occasional friendly crackhead dancing in the road. It wasn't till I spotted a railroad crossing bridge that I really knew what a fool I was to get off of the highway. A little backstory, but, I have a history with colliding an RV into things as I found myself missing the side of my airstream in 2019 after hitting a Chicago toll booth. The power of a flashback is understated as my breathing grew heavy, my heart pounded into my skull, and I shook my head as I squeezed slowly under the sign that read 10'8". There's not a possible way I know of that the trailer is going to make it yet somehow we went under without a single incident. Not a scratch, just cruised right on through, and I breathed in the loudest sigh ever.

Arriving at our first campground, just outside Mt Joliet, was a huge relief. Seven Points campground was really beautiful with well wooded lots and lots of space between campers. Walking along the lake was an added bonus. It was a short stay but definitely a campground I look forward to revisiting in the future.

Saturday April 29th 2023

Packing up the camper was quick, since we knew it was going to be a long drive. Along the drive, it was made aware to us that a family member of mine would be in the Ozarks at the lake. This was the direction we were headed and subsequently made plans to meet up Sunday. That night Karilyn and I stopped in Alley Springs campground near Eminence MO. While there wasn't much to report from this campground, yet again, it was a place I took note of to return. Especially after meeting the jolly old fellow camping next to us who couldn't help himself to sharing every secret fishing hole he knew. Without much delay, Karilyn and I got back on the road, that next morning to head north towards Lake of the Ozarks. 

Sunday April 30th 2023

The drive towards the Lake of the Ozarks was beautiful as we winded our way through the back roads of Missouri and realized that anyone who has something bad to say about Missouri probably has never visited other than maybe a truck stop off I-70. Our arrival at the campground that late afternoon was nothing noteworthy but meeting up with my extended uncle was an amazing time. He took us on some crazy backroads to a pretty divey looking bar that served up incredible fried food. After dinner we sat and just simply told stories on the back porch over looking the lake which included a few about my late brother whose early departure from this life reminded us that to live a little means you need to laugh a lot and laugh we did. It was Nolan's birthday, one of the hardest days of the year for most of our family, but one that tears are accompanied by a smile since it wasn't like Nolan to want anyone he loved to be in misery. One of my best memories is one that I have video of with Nolan laughing and singing the Redskins praises after we won in Tampa Bay (pre-Tom Brady)  With a few last laughs, we ended the night just watching the sun set on the lake, and headed back to the RV. 

Monday May 1st 2023

With the Lake of the Ozarks in our rearview mirror and our eyes set firmly on making it to Denver, Karilyn and I began what would be the longest trek of the trip, 700 miles straight through to Golden, CO. There is nothing to report about the drive other than it's not fun. But the first time the Rockies peak out of the haze, it's an uplifting feeling that keeps the hope alive that rest under the shadows of the mountains is not far. The campground in Golden is a place I've longed for many years to stay at. The convenience of being so close to everything yet tucked up against the creek with walking trails out the back door cannot be rivaled by much. Sushi and beer at the Golden Mill after a short walk helped us get ready for a much needed sleep.

Tuesday May 2nd 2023

Waking up with the sun is special, and even moreso when you stop to realize the blessing that it is to have such an incredible trip thus far without too many crazy issues. In that moment, there's only one thing I know is a must, thanking God for those moments. It also behooves a person who is traveling to ensure the best trip by keeping the maintenance of the vehicles up to date which is why the only fitting thing to do after a 700 mile drive is an oil change and breakfast with a long time friend Joey. Joey and I enjoyed burritos at a place called Bonfire Burritos which I highly recommend especially for those who love good green Chili. The day spent with Joey was much needed, a round of golf at Fossil Trace, a cigar at the Smoking Cave, and a lot of good laughs. Definitely marking Golden down for a return visit. 

Wednesday May 3rd 2023

The packing up at Golden was bittersweet but in some ways I couldn't wait to get away from the massive amount of people. Our next stop was impromptu but we were en route via I-25 to I-80 headed towards an "off the beaten path" park called Firehole Canyon Campground. When we arrived, we were surprised to see that we were completely alone in a campground that seemed to be abandoned to the wiles of nature. Which if we were honest, was awesome. We'd rather have no neighbors, no water, no electricity, and be completely alone. The photography at sunset was incredible and it showed.

Thursday May 4th 2023

Every morning seems to bring a surprise and this morning wasn't much different with dark skies and no sign of a sun. With storm clouds looming on the horizon, Karilyn and I decided it was time to pack up, and roll out. We were a days drive from being at the rental house with the family for our nephews graduation. It'd been a while since seeing all of them and we were excited. The drive was uneventful (thank God yet again) and we enjoyed the scenery changes as we went up and over Utah passes and into Idaho. Our arrival at the rental house was early and made for an interesting parking job in the driveway that led to my many slip ups with curse words. Thankfully no damage was done except to my pride which probably needed that humbling moment to keep me in check. The backyard provided an incredible view of the bridge into Twin Falls, ID and the surrounding canyon. Seeing all the nephews and nieces was a blast even though it took more than a couple minutes for them to warm up to seeing me for the first time in a while. One of the little ones, was nervous by my presence and I could tell she needed a reminder that Uncle Danny wasn't too cool for a fun time. So without too much hesitation, I handed Karilyn all my personal effects including my hearing aid, dared the little one to a race through the sprinklers, and proceeded to jump fully clothed into the hot tub with her at the "finish". I could tell this helped her know that life isn't too serious. I'm not sure how Karilyn felt but I could tell that the surprise was not much since she knew I was likely to do something crazy.

Friday May 5th 2023 

The morning was chill and the coffee flowed without end in sight in the house. We all anticipated the graduation of my nephew whose degree would put him immediately to work as a certified GM tech. I was really proud of him considering the struggles I knew he had faced growing up were not easy. His accomplishment was a testimony to perseverance even when uncertainty dominates the mind will always pay off. I could go more into detail about it but it's not my place and it's his story not mine. The celebration of Cinco de Mayo was full speed that night with decorations, a taco bar, margaritas, and even Latin American dance music. We concluded the night with a very intense game of Scrabble which of course my mother in law had no issue taking down despite her very "bad game". 

Saturday May 6th 2023 

With the potential of a late morning golf outing with the nephew on standby, Karilyn and I, had to really hustle to get the RV packed to hopefully find a Walmart to park it at while out and about. The golf course was likely one of my favorite experiences of the trip with a close second being Fossil Trace. The waterfall view on holes one through five was something surreal like a dream. The pictures and videos help explain but nothing compares to being there. After golf and lunch on the rim at Elevation, Karilyn and I headed west again, this time with Bend/Portland in our sights. 

Sunday May 7th 2023

Arriving in Bend was another one of those moments where I realized how blessed I am. There are many amazing views in this country and seeing the Sisters mountains off in the distance is one of them. Finally getting to enjoy lunch and a beer at my favorite brewery of all time, Deschutes is also an excellent use of time in Bend. After some window shopping and a good walk through the local park, we made our way to the campground in Sisters, OR. This campground is in a great location, with proximity to hiking, biking, and breweries. I am grateful that this state is one of the few that Starbucks are mostly empty because there are so many better coffee options such as the roaster in Bend or the one I am writing this blog in, Fika. Karilyn and I decided to do an impromptu golf session to celebrate our time on the road and enjoy the outdoors without the four legged friends. The course was immaculate and the golf not so much but definitely a good time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Two

Introduction